I'm very excited to be writing this very first blog post in celebration of our 3rd Birthday! Melbourne Animal Rescue Inc. was founded in July 2010 and look how the time has flown. It's so exciting, that we have a birthday present for all of YOU - our brand spankin' new website! More on that in a bit...
The last 12 months have been busy of course, and have seen some REALLY exciting developments for MAR, most especially the beautiful babies of all shapes, sizes and ages that we have saved from rather unhappy endings, and are now enjoying their happy ever afters with some amazing homes. Our heartfelt thanks go to everyone who has opened their hearts and homes to a MAR animal - we hope they bring you many years of love and joy.
- We saw Kat, the Founder and President of Canine Companions Dog Rescue join forces with MAR so that we could streamline the way we operate - I now am looking after our cat rescues and adoptions, whilst Kat is looking after the dog rescues and adoptions. We make a pretty awesome team if I do say so myself, and we are lucky to have her.
- Our volunteer team grew - both with more foster carers joining the ranks, and more 'behind the scenes' people - all of whom are the backbone of MAR. The team of ladies who run MAR are really incredible, and I don't just say that with bias, but with true admiration and pride. Every one of us lives and breathes to give animals a better lot in life than that they are often dealt by unscrupulous human beings. So, to Kat, Kathryn, Kelly, Lu, Samantha, Tegan and Zoe... Thank you all for your ongoing dedication to MAR. There have been others in the team along the way who have contributed and we are forever grateful for the time and care they gave to our organisation. Our Foster Mums, Dads, Siblings (Skin and Fur!)... there are too many of you to name here and I fear I'd forget someone anyway, but you all know who you are - and please don't ever forget that YOU are what truly makes MAR. Without foster carers, we'd save only a handful of animals, yet here we are having cracked 600. That is an amazing team effort that every foster carer - past and present - ought to be proud of. I know you all get all the love and thanks you truly need every time an animal gives you a snuggle, a purr, or even a loving look... but really, THANK YOU. You ROCK!
- In June of this year, we finally became Melbourne Animal Rescue Incorporated! It's something that should have been done from the get go, but the animals always came first, and it just got put off, then off some more, then forgotten for a bit, then it got put off again.... well you see what happened! Being incorporated doesn't really change much for us, except that we are officially recognised as a Not For Profit organisation! The next step for us is the paperwork to get our charity status - which includes tax deductible gift recipient status! Our secretary will be helping put this application together in the near future!
- The other amazing thing that happened for MAR over the last 12 months, is the business relationships that have been developed and cultivated. We are very lucky to have the support of some great businesses within the animal care industry that share our vision. Please support those who support us - you can find their logos and links to their websites within our website...
...Yes that was a fantastic segway into the birthday present we are giving all of YOU! Check out this awesome new website!
Our previous website was awesome and we loved it, however some people in Russia hacked us and started advertising all sorts of prescription medications. We don't know why we were targeted, but they did such a good job hacking it, the best option was to start again, so we took it as an opportunity and decided to come back with a bang! One of our volunteers, Anne, has put HOURS and HOURS of hard work into building this beautiful website. She has essentially self-taught and has listened to our visions and perfectionist views and look what we have now! We are pretty thrilled! If you find any errors, broken bits, or have any feedback in general, please let Anne know at
As for the next 12 months for MAR... our focus as always is on the animals, but we do aim to receive charity/tax deductible gift recipient status, and work on improving our processes and becoming even better at what we do in every way! We hope to meet many more of you at the events we attend and hold, and we wish everyone and their pets, another happy and safe 12 months!
- Courtney (Founder and President)